Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The vallet in the expensive suit

Recently we had the opportunity to attend the swearing in of a good friend to a judgeship in our city.  Because we are close family friends I called ahead in regards to the boys attending, and they said, absolutely!  Reluctantly I agreed and dressed the boys and prepared for the dinner.  We arrived exactly at the time appointed (which is late in my book) and the place was packed.  We stood just outside the hall where the ceremony was taking place directly across from our soon to be new state senator.... STRIKE ONE-YIKES!  To my dismay, I see ALMOST NO CHILDREN... STRIKE TWO-DOUBLE YIKES!!  The area is decorated nicely and everyone is dressed well.  White tablecloths, little twinkle lights... the whole shebang.  You know that feeling of showing up to something totally underdressed.... we were dressed fine, but that was the pure horror i was feeling as i begged and pleading with my children to please stop acting their age and for heaven's sake... PRETEND LIKE U ARE THIRTY!!!

Luckily I had a tractor book in my purse that i hoped would keep the troops under wraps for the 30 min presentation... If under control means taking turns beating each other over the head until the other screams... then my job would of been done... I was mortified!!

Next as a lady passed us to go back to her seat the toddler(2) decides to grab her skirt and lift it for the senator and every other member of the chamber of commerce behind us.

As we prepared to leave we notice that it was pouring down rain.  So the middle child (4) leans over to the man standing at the door in the very nice power suit, "so, can you go and get our car?..thanks!"  I know I cannot show my face in any grocery store, but i now have political events to add to my list....!!! aaaahhhhhhhhhh!!!!