Monday, May 24, 2010

Shmorgishborg "SH"undays

On Sunday after church we usually have our big meal for the day, which leaves the rest of the day to spend time with one another and rest for the upcoming week.  Because lunch doesn't usually happen til later and the meal is big... it throws off our eating schedule for the rest of the day.  We have created a tradition I like to refer to as "Shmorgishborg SHundays".  Now to understand what I am talking about you have to know what the word Shmorgishborg means...I grew up using the word with my family. It's urban slang... so why I used it while growing up in a home where manners were very important and we tried to speak with correct english
... I'LL NEVER KNOW!

 So here is the URBAN def:

 The combinations of leftover dinners put into one dish when you have nothing left to eat.

child: "hey mom, what's for dinner?"

mom: "oh, we're just having shmorgishborg"

While i do not throw all my leftovers into one dish, you will see from the pics it's an array of food.  It's a "Maw Maw" menu if i've ever seen one.  (Maw Maw is my dad's mom, she is wonderful.  You never know what you would get while sitting down for dinner at her table.  Spaghetti and lays potato chips was a common combo)  So this post is for my maw maw (my dad's mom) and papa (my dad).  Just a trip down memory lane.


(What's for dinner? you ask)
1. My festive flag plates. The only clean dishes I had in the cupboard, since I hadn't run the dishwasher all weekend.
2. Smoked BBQ ribs from a fundraiser from a local school.
3. A "shmorishborg" punch that the hubs wouldn't touch because "it just didn't taste right" (I don't blame him... I had a little bit of apple juice left and a little bit of pink country time lemonade that i mixed together.  Punch?..more like concoction)
4. Left over Domino's pizza from the night before the boys ate with a sitter.
5. Lays Potato Chips and Onion Dip (A must thanks to maw maw)
6. The rest of a summer sausage, crackers, meat and cheese.
7. Carrots and Bell Peppers (because we had to have a veggie)
(The first grader helping set the table)

While taking this shot the two little monkeys were washing their hands preparing for dinner.  30 seconds after this picture was taken... the toddler climbed into his high chair for the festivities (because meal time is always a carnival here).  He was so excited about SHMORGISHBORG punch he took the liberty to fill his own cup.  Not only did he fill the cup, but he filled the entire table and floor underneath him.  WHAT A MESS!!  The meal you see so neatly placed was suddenly floating in SHMORGISHBORG punch...GROSS!  No, i don't have a picture of that because suddenly I was trying to rescue the ribs, chips, crackers and pizza from the lake that appeared.  All the while the toddler is saying... "uh-oh mommy, I made a mess.  uh-oh mommy, no, I fix it." Towels we use to keep my chairs clean were snatched down and the cleaning began just in time for hubs to walk in the door and see us scattering like ants.  

The good news is, is that the meal was saved.  The SHMORGISHBORG punch that the hubs wasn't fit to drink anyways had just enuf for only the little boys to drink (which they LOVED, ofcourse...it's sugar) and we had a good laugh afterward.  I left the dry sticky floor to be mopped monday morning before the boys got up so I could enjoy the rest of my relaxing day with the family.  Why cry over spilt milk? or should I say, Why cry of SHMORGISHBORG punch????